Monday, August 10, 2009

Week ending 9-3-09

Family and Friends,

The COOLEST THING EVER happened this yesterday. Well, the coolest as far as missionary work goes. We were greeting people waiting for sacrement meeting to start when a menber came in and told us there was someone who had never been to an LDS church or met with the missionaries. We rushed out to talk to him. He told us that he had moved to Hastings about three months ago. He was raised Catholic but didn't really believe they followed the Bible. He had looked into BYU Hawaii and came to see "the requirements for being Mormon. He said he knew we didn't drink or smoke and he was the same way, and wanted to surround himself with like-minded people. He asked how long it would take before he could be baptized and wondered how many lessons he could take a week! I didn't know what to say!!!! It seemed too good to be true!!! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm really hopeful.

So I seem to blank whenever I come to write letters, so throughout the week I wrote down what I wanted to write about. I will just put them in the order they are in in my planner.

I saw fireflies!!!!! Ha ha I love it. It made me so so happy. I have always wanted to see them. They are smaller than I expected, but still cool. The light up for only about a second while they are flying and then go dark again. It makes me giddy every time I see them.

So traffic is pretty weird here in Hastings. In the residential streets, sometimes they have what I call a 4-way-go. There are no stop signs on any of the streets leading to the intersection, so you just have to yield. The thing is though, not all of them are like that. Even though I don't drive, I have gotten in the habit of checking the OTHER way for stop signs, to determine what kind of intersection it is: A four-way, a two-way, or a no-way stop
.
We set someone for baptism this week!! Her name is Audra. She is 21 I think. She will be baptized the 22. I am so excited. It will be my first.

So you all know how my companion is only on his second transfer? It turns out that I am two months older that hin. Weird. We also taught Audra the third lesson. I had only taught it once in the MTC, but Elder Burton had never taught it. Crazy to think that I would have taught that lesson more times than my trainer. This experience is helping us both to become more mature and experienced missionaries.

Dad- That's awesome that you got the Lumina sold. I feel like a burden has been lifted from me! I do feel a little sorry for the guy who bought it though...

So a weird thing happened. We were helping someone move, so we were both in street clothes. I had on one of my more favorite pair of jeans. But then the thought struck me that they weren't comfortable! SO weird. I always loved wearing jeans back home. I guess I'm just more comfortable in a suit and tie now.

So my companion had this weird way of doing his hair. it makes me laugh, so I thought I would share it. It is a combination of combing the hair all forward with the front sticking up, and combing it to the center, like a fohawk (is that how you spell it?). The result is a piont of hair right at the front of his head. I think of a unicorn every time I look at it. I will send some pics of us next week.

Also- Could I get a picture of little Brigster? I miss that kid.

Our ward mission leader here is Bro Brown (kind of a coincidence eh?). He is old and just a funny guy. He never gives a straight answer. He always mutters "I suppose.." and then fades away into nothing. He also has a forest of hair in his ear. Some of his ear hairs are longer than my head hairs. He is truly an old man.

So because we are on daylight savings time, it gets dark really late here. The sun rises and sets about the same time we do: about 6:30 and 10:30 respectively. (okay maybe about nine thirty, but is sounded cooler that way.)
In the Kmart by our appartment, they have an entire corner dedicated to Huskers items- shirts, jerseys, cups. It's crazy how devoted to the team the whole state is.

Shopping last week: We went to Wal Mart to get groceries. I wanted to make some chese crisps (quesadillas), so I bought tortillas and cheese. To spice things up a bit, I wanted to get some refried beans too. We went to the beans aisle, but they were nowhere to be found!!! THEY DON"T SELL REFIRED BEANS IN NEBRASKA! What is this?????? They have every variety of chili and pinto and black bean you can think of, but not refried beans. I was astounded and severly disappointed. I will have to go without, or make my own.

So that is everything I wrote down. Time to move on and respond to your emails. Thanks to everyone who sent one! (Mom, Brandon, Annie, Wesley, and Zeus [aka pops])
Mom- Yes I remember going to Wheel of fortune. It was a couples edition for Vallentine's Day. It was a good memory.
Brandon- Thank you for your travel log. I read it this morning and it was very enjoyable. Also. That is lame about the ipod. But it still works. It's not like it costed very much anyway... :)
Annie- I look forward to your letter.
Wesley- Congrats on the new CD! yes I miss music very much. I just sing songs in my head now.
Dad- That's cool that mom is Relief society President! I remember when she was in 4th ward. I know she will do a good job. Also, the attaatchment does work. You can just send it like that from now on.

I hope I didn't forget anyone or anything!! If I did, I might just end up writing a letter later today. It seems like a do that almost every week.

Your missionary,
Elder Burnham

0 comments: