Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Everyone!


This has been a pretty fun week. I ate cow tongue tacos, we got pulled over by an investigator, and we met someone who payed eight cows for his wife. Schuyler is a fun area.


We had a good turn out to Sacrament meeting this week. We had Gabriela and Serafin come, a couple we have been working with. She has a really strong testimony of the Book of Mormon. They read it together at night and then discuss it. They both like what they read. She told us they ask each other "do we believe it?" and the answer is always "yes we do". Maybe they will be some of the pioneers of the Spanish branch here. We also had Ana and Adam come to Sacrament meeting. Ana is a member, and Adam is her boyfriend. She was baptized in Lexington many years ago, and has not been to church in over 15 years. It was great to see them come. Unfortunately Estela did not come with them, but we will continue to work with her. Estela is a family friend that lives with them. We helped set her for baptism this week.


We had three team ups this week. One of them spoke English, and the other two spoke none. I translated everything for one, which was good practice. It was interesting having them there, but it was cool to see how we could overcome the language barrier. I though they were all effective. All the people we went on team-ups to were the ones who came to church. Yay!


When we were shopping last week, Elder Shumway saw a 10 lb. bag of potatoes on sale for only $2. It was an amazing amount of food for so little money, so, you know, he just had to buy it. We got back to the apartment, and then realized that we had TEN whole pounds of potatoes. They aren't exactly a microwave dinner. It turned out well though. I had some sour cream already, and we had real butter, so I made awesome mashed potatoes. We even had a random bottle of minced garlic in the fridge (I'm not sure how old it was but it tasted good). It was delicious- I was proud of myself. Thank you mom for letting me help you in the kitchen to learn. I ended up using about a third of the bag. Elder Shumway cut up another third of them and fried them with onions. He had some meat that he ate with it. I tried a little and it was good. We just need to use the last third of the bag this week. Fun times.


I hope you are all doing well back in AZ. Hope you are enjoying the weather and such. I hope you all have the opportunity to help in missionary work. If not, Get to it!! I love you all-

-Elder Burnham

0 comments: