Monday, September 21, 2009

Week Ending 9-21-09

Friends and Family-

I learned some valuable things this week. First- cutting hair is harder than it looks. Second, cutting your own hair is even harder than that.
Yes- I attempted the self-haircut this week. I bought a pair of clippers and went at it. I cut the sider nicely and then started to hack away at the top with scissors. I used the method I've seen my mom (a pro hair dresser) use- comb it up, grab the hair in between two straight fingers, and then snip. I repeatedly combed, grabbed, cut, eventually leaving the comb out of the sequence. After about half an hour of this it was looking... wearable. Had I kept at it, I probably could have perfected the top, but I decided to just take clippers to it too. It turned out nice. Now I don't have to pay for hair cuts the rest of my mission!

So Elder Burton and I were talking this week, and we discovered that we are COMPLETE oppopsites. We had known we were different before, but we realized that besides the mission and the church, we really don't havae ANYTHING in common. We couldn't be more different. I figure if I can get along with him, I can get along with anybody.

The appartment here in Hastings really has become my home. I don't say "let's go back to the appartment", I say "let's go home". It's strange- I feel like I've known everyone in the ward for years. Sometimes I think that if I mention anyone here that you should know exactly who I am talking about. You wouldn't though. There is Teresa, a member of three years with a 14 year old son, DJ Adams, a cool member of about three years who is 23 (his birthday was yesterday and we made him brownies), and the Turpins, a couple who feeds us often. They are really cool and have an 18 year old boy named Boyce. Those area the members with which we have the best realationship and see often.

There are lots of small animals here. Squirrels and rabbits abound bounding across the road. There are a few skunks too. Unfortunately, this results in lots of roadkill. Poor animals.

I think that's all for this week. I would like to share a quote that President sent out in his weekly email. "When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will instill us with power." -Ezra Taft Benson
I hope we all make it our quest to keep the commandments.

I love you all so much.
-Elder Burnham

0 comments: