Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving

Hello There!


 
I hope you all had a fantastic Day of Thanks. I did. We played in a Turkey Bowl in the morning with the first ward. It started at 8:00 and when we left our appartment it was about 7 degrees, but by the time we finished it had warmed up to 15 or 20. It was a little chilly. I dressed warm and once I got moving I had a blast. My face was the only thing that was too cold. My companion did not have good warm clothes so he wore just shorts and a long sleve t-shirt. He was cold. I felt a little bad for him. We are all sore now from the game but enjoyed it.


 
We got a lot of invites for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a little different than last year when I got transfered the day before to a tiny area. We accepted two dinners. One was with the Flory family and the other was with Amanda and her family. We both liked the Flory's food better but both were good. We were stuffed. It was a good Thanksgiving.
 


We had a good week as far as the work goes too. I talked last week about Silvia. She did not come to church this week because her husband was sick, but Amanda told us some really cool things. Before, the husband was not interested. Silvia wanted to go to church as a family, but he didn't really want to. But she came last week with Amanda and really liked it. Her husband also has arthritis in his leg, and it gets very painful in the winter. But when Silvia was at church, he said it didn't hurt him. Not only that, but he felt a peace and calm unlike anything he has felt before in his life. He now wants to come to church. It was a really cool experience, and I know the Lord is doing what he can to help his children know the gospel. I am excited for them.


 
We had had an investigator named Julio Chavez. He read the Book of Mormon a little bit and had said he would get baptized if he felt it was true. But he was working a whole lot and we hadn't been able to teach him for about 5 weeks. He lives in a house with about 15 other people. Last night we walked by his house and saw someone outside. It was dark and I didn't think it was him. But something told me to go back and talk to the person. It indeed was him. We talked for a few minutes and he let us in. He lives in a tiny little bedroom in the 3rd floor of an appartment/house. The roof is only 6 1/2 feet tall at the highest point and slopes down on the sides. The floor space is probably 10' by 8'. He shares a bathrom and a kitchen with others. But he let us in his room and we read some from the Book of Mormon. We then invited him to be baptized the 1st of January. He acepted. We are both excited and will work with him some more. He will stop working so much this next week (staring next monday probably) and we will be able to meet more frequently. We are seeing things progress here and I am excited about it. We are really trying to work with the members and are seeing fruits of it. I like it.


 
I hope you are all doing well and I love you all!

 
-Elder Burnham

 
PS There is still no snow on the ground. I love it. Sat and Sun were in the 40s and sunny. But today is cloudy and cold.

0 comments: