Sunday, September 12, 2010

8-16-10


To the Fam,

Hullo! Here I am again at the library, writing yet another email. It seems like I was just here. Do the weeks go this fast for you guys? I sure hope not.It's kind of ridiculous.

So the work is going about normal. No- it's going a little better than normal. We have some good investigators, and made contact with several more this week. I am not sure if we will have any baptisms this transfer, but we should have some early next transfer. Rosalva Torres is the closest.
She is an amazing investigator. She understands every reading assignment we leave with her, and she repeats it back to us in detail when we ask about it. She said that she usually doesn't enjoy reading religious books, but she does with the Book of Mormon. She likes church and feels the spirit there. We have been talking to her about baptism a lot. She knows it is right, but she wants to make the decision on her own time. I feel like she will take the decision soon. We are planning on doing something called pause, ponder in prayer with her this week to help her get the revelation through prayer that the time is Now- that there is no reason to delay the blessing of baptism. Pause ponder in prayer is something that President Kunz brought up about 8 months ago. It is something that we can do with our investigators or by ourselves. We pray, and give thanks and the normal stuff, and then we ask a specific yes or no question, and then pause and wait. The pause can be anywhere from 20 to 60 seconds, and during it, we listen to our feelings and give God an opportunity to talk back. It is really cool. It is like on demand revelation, as President Kunz says. I hope I haven't explained that in an earlier email. if so, Oh well.

So my companion is Elder Palomeque. I wrote a little bit about him last week, but now I know him better. He is a big joker. He is always saying something funny or trying to trick people to believe something that is not true. He usually tells us right after though that he's just messing. He is a big people person. He has no fear of anyone and just talks away. One of his companions told him he should be a salesperson. I think he would be really good at it. But he really just loves the people. Sometimes it is a challenge for me to teach with him just because I am not as big of a talker as he it. But things are going good. I enjoy serving with him.

Completely random thought: Do you remember that one time at the Burnham Family reunion when Brandon made an icecream cone with mustard in it and then told Brad he didn't think he could eat it in one bite?

So Elder Palomeque's license expired on the 10th, so I have ben driving. We are actually in a car share, so the first ward elders have the car for a week and then we get it for a week. We had it this week. We try to walk a lot still, so we can contact people on the street. Well, I am out of time, so I will talk to you all next week! Love ya,


-Elder Burnham

0 comments: