Sunday, September 12, 2010

8-2-10 End of transfer


Momma, Pops, the olders, the youngers, and whoever else might read this,


Time goes so fast! It is insane. This last month was the fastest of my mission and I'm not sure how I like it. I am really gaining a better testimony of how precious our time is. There are still times when I just want to get back to the apartment at night and rest, but I have learned a lot about the value of time.
There are a lot of things I have learned this transfer. I have worked harder this transfer than any other of my mission, and it has been the most difficult of my mission, but I have grown more these six weeks than ever before. I really can't describe how much I have matured and grown. I think of what the pioneers went through, and how much they sacrificed, and they must have grown so much closer to the Lord. That's what trials and hard times do (if we have the right attitude and rely on Him). I know this is the Lord's work. I am glad to be a part of it.


We had a cool experience this week in finding. We saw some hispanics going into a house, so we decided to write it down and knock it later. The next day, or the one after, we were driving by it and I felt prompted to stop. I drove past and went a few more blocks, but knew I needed to turn around. I did, and an older man answered. He has 7 kids, and he seemed a little bit preocupied. We told him we would like to share a message with him and his family, and he told us thanks, but that they were catholic. We Again testified of how important our message was and how it would help him and his family. Elder St.Clair asked him if he had ever gone through any family difficulties, and he said he was right then. We asked one more time if we could share our message with him, and just waited. After about 15 seconds, he said we could come back another time. inspired questions and pausing worked for us.


We also had a good experience with an investigator. I had taught Videl about twice, who had talked with missionaries about ten years ago. He didn't seem too interested, and had not read the Book of Mormon or come to church. This week, we got to teach his wife Guadalupe too. She hadn't been there the other times. We talked a litle bit about the Book of Mormon. The conversation led to how there are many churches and how they bash on each other. Her husband piped in and told her how Mormons don't do that. We shared the Joseph Smith story, and when we got to the first vision, we told them to close their eyes and imagine they were there with him. I shared the first vision, speaking slowly and with gaps to give them plenty of time to imagine it. After a ten second pause after, I opened my eyes, and every one else's were still closed. I closed mine and waited a little longer. We asked them how we felt. Guadalupe opened her eyes, and told us how she felt tingly all over and like she was floating in the air. She was smiling really big. We told her it was the spirit, and promised her that same spirit if she read the Book of Mormon and came to church. They said they had family coming that weekend, but she would try to read the Book of Mormon. We asked them to be baptized, and they said they wanted to learn a little more first. But it was a really spiritual lesson.


Luis is a 15 year old kid we are working with. He wanted to come to church, but we had problems with the ride. We could not get ahold of him Saturday on the phone or in person. We finally found him home Sunday about two hours before church started. It taked about 45 minutes to get to the church building. We talked to the Avila family (the only people driving to church from Crete that week) and they had left early for an interview with the bishop. There was no one else he could ride with- we were devastated. When we told him, he seemed really disappointed that he could not come. I think it may have helped him realize that he really wants it. I hope he can come this next week, and eventually be baptized. He is a good kid.

The Alarcon Family was hard to work with this week. They canceled our appointment on Wednesday because he was sick. They didn't come to church because then she was sick. I don't know how bad it was- if it was really bad, or just an excuse, but hopefully we can teach them this week and have them come to church. She should set a baptismal date on Wednesday.


Have a good week all! Love you,
-Elder Burnham

0 comments: